Waxing is one of the most widely used procedures to get rid of unwanted hair. Unwanted hair is uprooted with the help of wax. Different types of waxing procedures are available like hot waxing, cold waxing, Brazilian waxing, hard waxing, etc which have the same core procedure with minute differences with regards to the process, type of wax, area to be waxed, etc. But each of them has the same mechanism of action and after effects.
A lot of times, post waxing sessions there have been instances of rashes, soreness, numbing, flaking, etc. This article sheds lights on the Do’s and Don’ts to be followed after a waxing session. It is important because the skin has been put through trauma during waxing and it needs to be taken care of and recover to prevent adverse reactions.
- Wash the waxed area with plain or cold water to make sure all traces of wax are gone.
- Pat your skin dry and apply an astringent or toner to the waxed area. Applying astringent would contract the pores that opened up as a result of waxing. If pores are left open for a long time, dirt might settle into them and cause acne or blackheads. In case you do not have an astringent or a toner, you may rub ice or wash with cold water as it would have the same effect as an astringent.
- Waxing would exfoliate the skin and all the dead cells would be gone post waxing. After 3 hours or so, apply a generous amount of moisturizer and massage into the skin. This will ensure that the skin does not crack or flake out owing to exfoliation and consequent dehydration.
- Wear loose and airy clothes. Cotton clothes are preferable.
- Apply an antiseptic cream immediately after waxing to prevent infections.
- You may also apply a cooling lotion in case you experience rashes or redness.
- Keep your hands off the waxed area to avoid bacterial contamination.
- Do not use warm water on your skin immediately after waxing. Warm water would further widen the pores.
- Avoid cooking because steam emitted during cooking can enlarge the pores that have been already widened due to waxing.
- Do not bleach or use chemicals immediately after waxing as they might settle inside the pores that have widened as a result of waxing and cause adverse reactions.
- Avoid scrubbing immediately after waxing.
- Do not expose the waxed area to sun immediately post a waxing session as the skin develops increased sensitivity owing to exfoliation of the top layer of skin after waxing.
- Do not swim for 24-48 hours after waxing as pool water is usually chlorinated and that might get inside the pores and wreck havoc for the skin.
- Avoid using deodorants post waxing as deodorants usually contains alcohol and chemicals that might seep into the pores and cause inflammation.
Hence, make sure to follow the Dos and avoid the Don’ts for a hassle free skin.