Ingrown hair is hair that grows inside the skin instead of growing out of the skin. The hair curls inside the skin and does not erupt out of the skin. It could also occur as a result of hair growing sideways. Other reasons for ingrown hair include improper waxing or epilating, accumulation of dead skin or debris over skin and tight clothing.
Ingrown hair leads to rashes and itching. They are not pleasing to look at and can be painful if you try pulling them out. It might culminate into follicle infection also. Ingrown hairs usually go away naturally, but sometimes might lead to inflammation and consequent darkening leading to a scar formation.
People with dense, rough and curly hair are more prone to having ingrown hair.
Here are some tips to prevent ingrown hair.
- Regularly scrub or exfoliate the skin so that dead cells or debris accumulated over time on the skin is removed.
- Make sure waxing is done with the right technique. During waxing the hair should be pulled in the direction opposite to that of hair growth. Same applies to epilating.
- Regular use of loofah or pumice stone to scrub your skin also prevents ingrown hair.
- Make sure hair grows out quite a bit before going for a waxing or epilating session. Trying to wax or epilate short hair might also lead to ingrown hair.
- In case waxing is causing a lot of ingrown hair, switch to shaving or use depilating creams.
- Shaving can also lead to ingrown hair if not done the right way. Using a shaving cream or gel prior to shaving can reduce probability of occurrence of ingrown hair.
- Shave in the direction of hair growth as opposed to waxing where hair is pulled in the direction opposite to that of hair growth.
- Do not apply excessive force during shaving or the hair might get cut deeper as compared to skin dermis leading to ingrown hair.
- Avoid tight clothing to prevent ingrown hair.
You may use tweezers to pull out ingrown hair. Hair reduction treatments like electrolysis or laser hair removal can be used in people with coarse and curly hair to prevent ingrown hair.
Follow the tips mentioned above to enjoy an ‘ingrown hair’ free skin!